Thursday, November 29, 2007

Does habit equal addiction?

This article talks about the Siamese twins called Habit and Addiction, their similarity and how one should tackle them...

The oxford dictionary defines habit as a settled or regular tendency or practice or alternatively an addiction to drugs. Ok that was what the books told us, but lets see what I understood of the word habit, Habit is word or tendency such that when I remove the starting letter from it (i.e. H), I still have a-bit, if I remove the next letter (i.e. A), I am still left with bit, when I remove the next letter from that, I am left with it, I still keeping having it, now in my desperate attempt I remove the next letter from that (i.e. I), I am still left with T, i.e. tea or coffee whatever you prefer. So habit is one such word so well defined in the English literature that it doesn't make you feel like an addict nor does it sound insulting, an extremely polite way of saying, Yes, I am addicted to something.

Many people, including my clients keep asking me, How can I differentiate between a habit and an addiction? Well the answer is very simple, you can't, and you just can't differentiate between a habit and an addiction. They both mean exactly the same. Socially or rather politically, the word habit is considered to be more polite than the word addiction. In most cases, if not in all, habits are formed unknowingly and people involuntarily get habituated. Now why did I say that? Well in most cases you never understand your body and why is it demanding something. You just do it because your body demands it.

Accepting that you are addicted is the only way to conquering your fears. You need to realize, not assume, what you are habituated to. Getting rid of an addiction or a habit starts from knowing your body, understanding its needs. Bringing discipline in your life, is a more practical way to word it. You need to know that your body is not like any other machine that processes your food, but is way much more complex. You need to balance your sleep hours, eating habits, and recreation timings.

Loosing your addiction or habits is only half success, but maintaining it for life is your final success. So once you have won yourself against addiction, it is very important to maintain this victory. The key element that would keep you going on in this battle is that fact that you love yourself and you love your life. Boys like their toys and girls like their boys, a phrase that displays relation betweens the oddest of elements. Raising the bar is a very good thing, as humans are competitive but one must know when and where the word enough, in their line of life. You may not be the best but you are not bad either.

So, let me end this one here by saying, be in control of yourself and your life. They just give you one life, so don't let any habit manipulate it cause this is one place you never get a second chance.

=================================================
||My FREE services||

Find out more information about parking domains at ParkingWHOIS
and many more...
=================================================

No comments: